Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Totally Organized Tuesdays: Master Bedroom Closet Part 2

Today I will be giving my tips on how to keep your closet organized and tidy. If you missed Part 1, you can find it here.


Hangers:
-I think the single most important thing that can take your closet from messy to neat is the hangers. You can't have a closet with a mixture of wire and plastic hangers and it look neat.
- You don't have to buy expensive hangers either. The ones I used you can buy at Target or Walmart and are a dollar for 10 hangers.
- Doesn't matter what color they are but make sure they are all the same color.
- You will also be able to fit more clothes in your closet when you have the same type of hanger because they fit together much more nicely.
-When you take your clothing off the hanger, have a designated place to put it so that when it is time for hanging up clean laundry you don't have to dig around to find empty hangers.


Color Order:
-I don't put my clothes in color order just because it looks neat. It is easier to find that navy shirt with the ruffles that I want to wear when I can just go to the section with blue shirts.
- It may take a lot of time initially to get your clothes in this order but it is very easy to maintain.

Purging:
-If you haven't worn something in a year get rid of it, no matter how much it cost. It isn't worth the space in your closet if you don't wear it. (This does not apply to pregnant women of course.)
- If you have a hard time getting rid of things, when you wear something and it gets washed and you hang it up again turn the hanger around. After several months you will be able to see what you really wear and what you need to get rid of.
-Another tip is refuse to buy more hangers, if you do this when you buy a new item you will be forced to get rid of an old item. This will keep your closet from becoming overcrowded.


Ok now to the number one question I get asked when giving people a tour of my home. Why does your husband have way more clothes than you do? Well first thing he is a hoarder but he is getting better and lets me get rid of more clothes now. I on the other hand am quite the minimalist. Second reason is he likes every shirt he owns to be hung up(even the ones that have holes and stains on them that he only wears while working on stuff outside) while I keep all the shirts I work out in a drawer along with my camis and tank tops.

If you would like to see more pictures of my closet, check out Part 1 of this post.

The fabulous parties I am linking up to:
Lil Luna
Organize and Decorate Everything
Crystal and Co.
House of Hepworths
Delightful Order
Gluesticks
Tatertots and Jello
Be Different Act Normal
I Heart Naptime
Tip Junkie
A Bowl Full of Lemons
Let Birds Fly
Somewhat Simple
Fingerprints on the Fridge
Tidy Mom
320 Sycamore
Six Sisters' Stuff

Pin It

19 comments:

Autumn said...

Love your tips about hangers. In fact my closet looks eerily like yours- all white hangers with the empties hanging over a dresser! I love the labels on the laundry baskets too.

Rachael said...

Great tips! Thanks.

TRICIA said...

Ha! My husband is the same way with his clothes!!! I'm jealous of all of the built-ins in your closet! Looks so nice!

mtashie said...

I just did a makeover of our master closet and bedroom a month ago. I agree with you on the hanger issue. I have all the plastic ones like you do, but some in different colors. Now I can obsess about that! Ha!! I'm a new follower! I hope you'll stop by my site and check it out!

Valencia Jones-Edwards said...

I just org. my closet and had a garage sale. I felt so liberated getting rid of old clothes that I no longer wear that I went through my whole house, even my garage and purged. Love your tips!!

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

Your closet looks great! Love it!

Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

Rosario said...

Ah! I dream of a walk-in closet. Somehow my walk-in closet got reduced to make room for the stairs up to the attic. And It was not inside the master bedroom either. I guess the closest I had to a walk-in was when living at my parents house. A standing rack inside the room where the no longer working furnance was up in the attic room where my bedroom was located. I will keep on dreaming......

Rhiannon said...

oh i love it! I keep telling my hubby the same thing over and over again, its just neat and clean and easier and more efficient. he teases me of my ocd.
High five! love it

Blackbird500 said...

Wow! Where did you get your jewelry organizer?

Krista said...

My husband bought the jewelry organized probably 3 or 4 years ago for me for Christmas from JCPenney. Last year I remember them having one at Kohl's during the black friday sale so you might check Kohl's too.

Unknown said...

Super smart!

I am sharing a link to this over on Facebook today.

Thank you so much for linking up and sharing this solution with mom's on my meme.

Jennifer said...

Fantastic!!
Thanks for linking up to Show & Share!!

Delightful Order said...

You've been featured!

http://delightfulorder.blogspot.com/2011/10/featuring-you-top-ten-from-10192011.html

Thanks for joining the party last week. Hope to see you again this Thursday!

DaNita

Clean Out Closet said...

Great Article, never would have considered using the same type of hanger would actually make that big a difference in saving space.


http://cleanoutcloset.blogspot.com/2011/10/6-rules-to-clean-out-closet.html

Closet Oranization said...

We could all take notes from this blog, I'll be sure to send my mom here!

Fitted Wardrobe Solutions said...

Very useful pointers, especially the one about using the same type of hanger. Keep your helpful posts coming! =)

Anonymous said...

http://hapna.com/pre/buypropeciaonline/#43891 propecia uk - propecia results

Anonymous said...

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this, like you
wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with a few pics to drive the
message home a little bit, but other than that, this is magnificent blog.
A great read. I will definitely be back.

Have a look at my web site ... 18 inch dishwasher ()

Anonymous said...

Do you have any video of that? I'd care to find out some additional information.

my web-site black paint

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)